Inside Togo

After 8 years at Inside Washington Publishers, I couldn't resist paying homage by naming this after my old publication, Inside EPA. Internet access permitting, I'll use it to provide periodic updates on my new life in Togo with the Peace Corps' girls education program. Disclaimer: The views presented here do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Carrot Lady


Actually this is more a photo of her kid, who still seems to be afraid of white people even though I have been buying carrots, green peppers, green beans and the like from his mom for almost a year. He seemed to get used to me for awhile but the last couple of times I went to the market, he was scared again, especially after I took his photo (I don't think he'd seen a camera before). There's a twice weekly market near my house (in addition to the larger one downtown, which runs every day) and I always go to this woman to get what are the most nutritious vegetables available in my town -- carrots, peppers, green beans and beets, along with lettuce. For some reason these items are always sold together. So there are women who sell onions or tomatoes, or both, but not tomatoes and carrots. The carrots always go with the beets, peppers and green beans. In any event, it's always fun to head over to her little area -- she's always in the same spot, next to her friend, who sells me tomato paste and pasta, another grouping of items that always go together -- to see whether her son is going to wave hello to me or run away in fear...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home