Inside Togo

After 8 years at Inside Washington Publishers, I couldn't resist paying homage by naming this after my old publication, Inside EPA. Internet access permitting, I'll use it to provide periodic updates on my new life in Togo with the Peace Corps' girls education program. Disclaimer: The views presented here do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Benin -- Ouidah


This is a monument called the Point of No Return, which marks a departure point for slave ships that headed to the US and mostly Brazil from Ouidah, Benin during the peak of the slave trade. Ouidah was a hub of slaving and is also known as a hotbed of voodoo -- shortly after I returned to Togo, Ouidah had its big annual voodoo festival. I spent New Years at a beachfront hotel near the monument with another volunteer, Amy, which given Ouidah's history seems like an odd place to celebrate. But today Ouidah just seems like a rather pretty beach town with some museums and monuments commemorating its darker past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home